Are differences in lenses only seen at 100%?

Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,770Gear list
Like?
Re: Are differences in lenses only seen at 100%?
In reply to tamasine, Feb 8, 2013

What is your concern about corner performance?  Has that been an issue with your current gear or is it a topic that has emerged more in your research than your actual photography?  The reason I ask is you are in a gear forum where a large percentage of members do examine images closely for edge-to-edge performance.  Many might have a professional status and thus must get top performance for prints and sales.  Some might just enjoy perfection.  On the other hand, there are many, professionals and otherwise, who might not care as much about corner performance.  It might depend on the subject matter, style of photography, or training.  To give one example, some lenses are reportedly better at central sharpness and bokeh than overall sharpness.  That lens is designed that way and bought for that performance.  I know in my pics there is often nothing but water, blue sky, or a blurred bg in the corners.  Plus, I do correct my pics at 100% but I evaluate them aesthetically only at normal viewing levels.  I would guess that you can buy a less than perfect lens and still get a knockout performance from it.  I hope so.  Anyway, if you can't see it, I wouldn't worry about it (unless you are a pro).

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow