Please talk me out of a 31 mm ltd... or?

Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,789Gear list
Like?
Re: Please talk me out of a 31 mm ltd... or?
In reply to Englund, Feb 8, 2013

Englund wrote:

OK, I have the DA21, the DA 40 , an F 50/1.7 and my dad has the FA 43.

BUT...I lust for the FA31.

I can't help you, but I'm having a similar debate. I own a bunch of normals (Kiron 28mm f2, FA 28mm f2.8, FA 35mm f2, XS 40 2.8), that I could sell to help pay for the 31mm, but is it worthwhile? Professional reviews show virtually the same performance for the FA 35 and FA 31. Photos I've seen online don't show a clear winner. From anything I've seen, it is not possible to distinguish which lens was used. I really like the colours, FOV and small size of the FA 28. It pretty much lives on my K-01. The FA 35 is sharp from f2 and has been very reliable any time I've used it.

If I were to sell my normal collection, I'd be left with DA 15, FA 31, DA 40, FA 50 1.4 and D FA 100. That collection makes more sense than what I have, but I like variety and I'm not quite convinced that pixie dust exists, or that if it does exist, that it will matter to me.

Then there's the coming full-frame. It seems to me that a 35mm FOV makes more sense on FF than 31mm.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow