How much better would a raw file be? C&C please : )

Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Arel
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
How much better would a raw file be? C&C please : )
Feb 8, 2013

Hey!

I’ve got a D5100 since about a year, have been shooting mostly jpegs, and I’ve been happy with it. The ones I want to print I work a bit on in Lightroom 4 and I find that I’m able to tweak them quite a bit even though they are only jpegs.  But sometimes I find myself wondering, what if this was a raw-file? Would I then be able to get a better result? Or do you have to be more or less a pro to appreciate the benefits of a raw file?

Here is an example of a SOOC jpeg and my unsatisfying result from tweaking that jpeg in Lightroom. I was not happy with the colours I got, the lifted shadows are to blue but if I warm it up the highlights are to yellow. So I converted it to b&w as well, I prefer the b&w one myself. What do you guys think? What can I do better with the jpeg, and how much better would a raw file do?

Original jpeg

If someone wants to play around and upload a copy feel free.

Secondly.  Is there much point in shooting raw when the subject does not have a high DR or is noisy? For sharpening perhaps? I mean, I find that I have pretty good control over the white balance in Lightroom even with a jpeg.

Third question: What do you guys use to put a frame on your pictures? Lightroom is a bit lacking there, but is there a plug-in or something?

All comments are appreciated!

Arel

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow