Anyone using the 1 System with F mount lenses for birding?

Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,121Gear list
Like?
Anyone using the 1 System with F mount lenses for birding?
Feb 8, 2013

Hi,

I'm a DSLR owner and am thinking of trying some bird photography.  In the Pentax world the longest affordable lens is a 300mm f4, but on APSC that's a tad short for birding.  I can't afford a super telephoto in any system and I hate mirror lenses.  I've received all sorts of good and experienced advice about Pentax and optional third party long lenses and teleconverters.  But I'm also wondering about smaller sensored systems.  The four thirds system has a few long fast lenses, but they're as unaffordably expensive as long fast lenses for anything else.  And micro four thirds has no long teles at all.

So, now I am wondering about the 1 System, where the crop factor is 2.7X.  A mere 200mm f4 becomes a 540mm f4.  A 300mm f4 becomes a 810mm f4.  An 80-200 f2.8 becomes a 216-540 f 2.8, etc.  Further I've heard that the V2 has very fast hybrid AF and can track at 15fps.  I've also been very impressed with the IQ of some of the new bridge cameras - so perhaps the larger 1" sensor of the 1 System might offer even better......  I'm still considering all options....... Can I ask a few basic questions.......

• I believe there is an F mount adaptor for the 1 system.  Does this offer compatibility with all modern Nikon  lenses?  And does it offer full functions - ie can the V2 auto-expose and autofocus AF lenses at the same speed as it can focus its native lenses?
  • Are there adapters which will allow lenses from non-Nikon brands to be used on the V2?  (Obviously they wouldn't provide AF.  Some might allow AE).
  • Is there anyone out there who has tried birding with good Nikon lenses in the 70/80 - 200 f2.8 or f4 range?  The 300mm f4?  Are these lenses giving good IQ on the 1" sensor?  What's been your experience of using them?  Is it a good solution?

Any comments appreciated.  Thanks,  Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Nikon 1 V2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow