rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,894Gear list
Like?
Re: G5 is just a Repackage G3 without sensor improvements
In reply to jalywol, Feb 8, 2013

jalywol wrote:

007peter wrote:

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson wrote:

Exactly. I'm not interested in a 2 yrs old Repackage camera at a higher price without sensor improvements.

The lack of excitement for G5 MIRROR the lackluster debut for Panasonic GF5

• GF5 is just a repackeage GF3 with rubber grip
  • G5 is also a repackage G3 with a rubber grip

I havt yet to find any worthy upgrade in G5 over G3 to justify the expense. Making it worst is that G5 is 240% more expensive than an older G3 @B&H Video:

• $598 Panasonic G5 Body
  • $249 Panasonic G3 Body

Without sensor improvements, G5 is vulnerable to the heavily discounted G3.

You do realize that the G5 and the G3 do not use the same sensor?

The G5 sensor is more sophisticated in that it has the A/D converters on the chip vs later in the processing circuit. It has lower noise at low ISOs, and, with the current JPG engine, better overall color rendition than the G3.

yes, but it is still overshadowed by the new Sony sensor offered in the Olympus cameras.

In addition, the handling and the button access is better on the G5 than the G3....and it has a better LCD.

well that is jst repackaging. I updated my G3 to an E-M5, but won't have felt the need to go from the G3 to the G5, even if the new Olympus weren't yet issued.

007 Peter is right about that and the lack of buzz on the forum just reflects that fact.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow