Are differences in lenses only seen at 100%?

Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tamasine
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
Are differences in lenses only seen at 100%?
Feb 8, 2013

I've read many reviews of various lenses and certain ones are said to be sharper than others, especially in the corners.

Is the lack of sharpness in some lenses only seen when you print at a certain size, or can you notice it if you (for example) display it on a monitor at, say, 1920 x 1200 resolution or less?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking at a few lenses for FF.  The best value one to go for is the Nikon 24-85 VR but website reviews suggest that this is just an 'ok' or 'good' lens on FF.

If this verdict is made after blowing the image up to 100%, would I be right in saying that if printed at a smaller size (A4 or A3), or even downsized for the web (1600 pixels), you might not be able to tell the difference in sharpness compared with a lens that most people say is sharp, i.e. the 24-70 f2.8?

I'm just wondering that in the real world, without lab tests, if most people would actually notice the difference between many lenses?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow