surprising lack of interest in G5 review

Started Feb 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,509Gear list
Like?
Re: surprising lack of interest in G5 review
In reply to basic state of ignorance, Feb 8, 2013

basic state of ignorance wrote:

Actually it is much better camera than a perception of some people. The image quality is nothing less than leading DSLR's I just switched from Sony A65 and I do not see that image quality is any worse. Video is even better than on GH2 and its price is less than 450$. In some cases technical details in reviews do not tell the whole story. I think that G5 is a better photo video tool than Olympus OMD

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Not strange at all. The G5 is not interesting when compared to other new releases. Nothing really new. Panasonic decided to use a sensor that is for all practical purposes what was in a 2-year-old model, the GH2. {Yawn} Olympus' response was to give its current and top quality OMD sensor to the E-PL5 and E-PM2. {Trump} Then there are so many mirrorless cameras that are interesting with new features like the PDAF sensor in NEX-5R and NEX-6, or those Fuji cameras with X-Tran sensors and some of them also have PDAF (X-E1, X100s, X20), some have Android or other innovative features ... Panasonic is holding back too much and not passing on what benefits that technology provides quickly enough in its lower models. While Canon can to some extent get away with that, Panasonic does not have the same volume of business, command of loyalty in customers or blind following. I can see the G5, just like the GX1, discounted heavily and replaced soon.

Check the DXO scores for the G5 and compare with GH2's. Mirrorless consumers are smarter than Panasonic thinks.

I did not say the G5 is a bad camera. I said it is not interesting. It has some nice features like fully articulated LCD and good ergonomics, but those are old hats. My comments were made in response to a querry why there is a lack of interest in the G5 review, and my point was that it was uninteresting, exactly what causes the lack of interest in G5 reviews. OK, my comments about the sensor suggested that it was not good in that important area. That is however true when an old sensor is re-used in a new camera. 2 years is a very long time in sensor technology timeframe.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow