How much is reasonable for a hobbyist to spend on camera gear?

Started Feb 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
hedwards
Regular MemberPosts: 267
Like?
Re: Impossible
In reply to Guidenet, Feb 8, 2013

Right, and also consider that things like lenses tend to last a really long time if taken care of properly. I've yet to have a lens go bad over the last 10 years. And I'm sure there are people out there that scoff at such a short period of time.

It's a matter of duration IMHO, I tend to set a certain number of shots as a sort of rule of thumb as to when I'm allowed to invest in a new piece of gear. At this point, between my 3 lenses, 2 bodies, light meter, tripod, tripod heads, monopod and such, I'm probably looking at $5k worth of gear.

Which the way I look at it translates into about $500 or so a year for the last decade. And if we're honest, most of the guys in this thread probably spend more than that on drinking over that time period. And it's certainly possible to spend that on gym memberships, which lugging around that much gear gets you out of.

Also, I've got darn near everything I could possibly want at this point. It would be nice to have a proper macro lens, external flash and that's about it.

Also, also, keep in mind that bodies don't go obsolete very quickly, it'll probably be a few years before the body really starts to depreciate.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow