How good is the original 5D Mark I compared to the 2013 Canon's?

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
jayrandomer
Contributing MemberPosts: 627
Like?
Re: no 5D mark I nor 5Dc
In reply to The Davinator, Feb 8, 2013

Dave Luttmann wrote:

jayrandomer wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

scrane wrote:

The newer Canons are far ahead of the old 5Dc

Let's talk about the right camera. There is no model called the 5D mark I nor is there a 5Dc, it's plainly the 5D!

With all due respect, we rarely label something as I, Mark I, or senior, until a II, Mark II, or junior arrives upon the scene. Once the Mark II arrives, it is much simpler to use 1, I, 5D1, or Mark I, than type a longer description. We know what it means, and it avoids confusion, as some folks use "5D" loosely, when referring to the current 5D model.

Moreover, unlike some automobile and firearms companies think, "Classic" is a title that is earned, not self-proclaimed. I believe the original 5D has earned the title of Classic. The early full-frame Canon DSLRs were a BIG thing in their day, causing much anguish among the Nikon folks, and at its introduction, there was nothing else like the 5D, the first light-weight full-frame DSLR. I do not, however, use "5DC."

To be clear, I did not mean this to seem argumentative.

If that is the case, why don't we see constant reference to the Canon 1D Classic and the Canon 1Ds Classic, and the Nikon D2x Classic and the Nikon D3 Classic......is it because pros know the difference between 5D and 5D2 when the read a sentence?

What's the problem with using 5Dc? Sure, it was never called that by Canon, but enough people use the term that it has become recognizable. Do you get equally upset when someone says the EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS I? Or when someone mentions the 100mm macro (non L)? The additional information, while not conforming to the official nomenclature, helps clarify the exact intent of the statement.

You didn't answer why pros don't need to rename their cameras.

a) that question wasn't posed to me

b) even though it wasn't posed to me originally, it has been now so I will answer it:

First, I can't answer your question as asked because your question is not well phrased:

1) the 1d-series is the professional level camera series, not a camera series which uniquely confers professional status to its users. So your original question isn't really a valid one. A more precise question would be, "why don't the professional series cameras not get the classic nomenclature applied to them"

2) a simple google search for "1d classic" reveals a number of hits. So I challenge your claim that the 1D isn't referred to as the 1D (classic).

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Y82m

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1082762

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/614997/0

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/38238974

(you can have even buy this nonexistent camera here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1172660/0?keyword=1D,classic#11177922 )

So perhaps a better question is, "Why does the 5D get the classic or MkI label applied to it more frequently than the 1D?"

And I have two answers for that questions:

1) There are a probably lot more 5D cameras out there than 1D cameras, and a lot more people still interested in buying them. I don't know this total numbers, and I'm too lazy to look them up, but the 1D is much older and was much more expensive, two factors suggesting that there are more 5D cameras up for sale.

2) (this is probably what were aiming for) Professionals tend to be much more precise with their terminology than amateurs. That's true in photography, it's true in law, it's true in medicine, and it's probably true in any other field or trade. Although it's not clear that precision in photographic technology nomenclature is necessarily required or restricted to professionals.

What any reasonable professional (and most of us here are professional in something, even if that thing isn't photography) will tell you is that there's generally a good reason for requiring that precision in terminology and that is to prevent confusion. That precision needs to be balanced with the desire to not be annoyingly pedantic. To use a simple example from my own field, many people use the terms "velocity" and "speed" interchangeably, but they are slightly different concepts. In certain, pedagogical cases its important to correct someone when they misuse one term for the other; in other situations it's best to let context win out. You would correct a student who talked about the velocity of light; you would (hopefully) not correct your 80 year-old uncle when he said that the velocity of that car was 60 mph.

Similarly, one would hope there's a good reason to interject into multiple threads about the misuse of well-understood but not Canon-specified identifiers for certain cameras. My question to you, or any willing to answer, is what is that reason? I can't see it being confusion, because 5Dc or 5DI both can mean only one specific thing (at least until they release a Cine version of the 5-series).

-- hide signature --

And to be clear, I don't like the 5Dc or 5DI names, but I understand why they're used.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ThatNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow