How much are small pixels sensitive to off-axis light?

Started Feb 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 11,226
Like?
Re: Scattering is a potential cause
In reply to Marianne Oelund, Feb 8, 2013

Marianne Oelund wrote:

noirdesir wrote:

photoreddi wrote:

noirdesir wrote:

Why then do a number of lenses show a lower MTF value on the NEX-7 compared to the NEX-5 at the borders and corners (and/or wide-open) but a better MTF value (as expected) in the center?

I'd think that it's due to the microlenses, which perform less optimally the farther their position from the center of the sensor and perhaps to the smaller the size of the microlenses, where the negative contribution of edge effects may take over.

That is the only thing I can think of as well, somehow light is 'bleeding' from one microlens to another when the light rays strike at too oblique an angle.

What surprises me is that there is almost no discussion about this as in comparing to what degree a given camera is affected by this.

This is getting away from the original question regarding directional sensitivity, which alone wouldn't cause the resolution problem.

I tried to phrase my OP as least sensationally as possible and wanted to describe with the word sensitivity something like: 'it reacts in a particular way to something'. Thus, instead of getting away from my OP, you actually getting to the heart of it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow