Panasonic 100-300 or ......?

Started Feb 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
C Sean
Regular MemberPosts: 274
Like?
Re: Panasonic 100-300 or ......?
In reply to paulieRD, Feb 7, 2013

paulieRD wrote:

Rest assured I'm not a good enough photographer to consider going in for a 60D and 100-400mm!

And I'm probably not good enough for a new G5 and 100-300mm.

So that leaves second hand m4/3 or super zoom bridge, it's pretty clear where some of my helpful respondents would go, but for me I'm not so sure.

There maybe an alternative option is to purchase the Panasonic 100-300mm and a monopod. The GF3 isn't designed for big lenses and shooting it freehand will cause a lot of strain on your right wrist. It will also cause greater camera shake not only for the lack of grip but there isn't an EVF. So if you go down the 100-300mm route you will need a monopod or find a way to stable the camera.

Aprox 80% to 90% of your shots will be taken with this lens. The other problem you will face are tame wildlife. Believe it or not but the animals in Kruger Park are rather tame and will not care if safari trucks are parked next to them. This will gives great close up shots. Colourful birds will happily sit next people in the rest/food areas. So at least you will need a good compact camera for close shots.

Then we have the wounderful variety of insects, frogs etc and they could be done with the 100-300mm.

What i don't think you understand is Africa Safaris is not only just elephants and Lions. They are jam pack with so many vareity of animals, insects and birds which aren't hardly shown in the wildlife programs. It's unlikely you will see big cats hunting but you will get a lot out of it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow