shooting raw

Started Feb 7, 2013 | Questions thread
mariomirabile
Senior MemberPosts: 1,279Gear list
Like?
Re: shooting raw
In reply to trevor4455, Feb 7, 2013

There's nothing mysterious about shooting raw. It all depend on whether you like tweaking your photos - which for me at least is part of the creative process. I found that once you overcome the hurdle of learning to use a raw processor - I use and recommend Lightroom 4 - the fact that you're working with a raw rather than jpeg file become immaterial.

I usually shoot raw + LSF jpeg, and for holiday snaps or party shots, the jpeg is usually fine. But If I'm shooting anything I might waht to work on (like a camera club competition shot), I'll always start with RAW.

As far as software goes , there's plenty out there. Olympus Viewer is a free download (the version on your E-510 CD is quite out of date by now), but even on a fast PC, I find it very slow. As I said, I like Lightroom, and it's available as a free 30 day trial from Adobe. It has the same raw engine built into Photoshop, but the interface and some of the features are different and I find it easier to use. I cant really speak for other applications, but you'll find plenty of information on the web. Many are commercial, but some are free (eg Raw Therapee).

Things to consider:

• When you shoot jpeg, you throw away information captured by the sensor
  • The jpeg engine in your e-510 was put there by Olympus in 2007 and hasn't changed since. Software raw developers are constantly being updated and (hopefully) improved.
  • Many raw developers are non-destructive. If you don'y like the outcome, you can go back to the beginning, or any point in the process, and start again

Mario

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow