GH3 & 100/300 or Canon 7D 100-400L

Started Feb 7, 2013 | Questions thread
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,985Gear list
Like?
Re: GH3 & 100/300 or Canon 7D 100-400L
In reply to AJWales, Feb 7, 2013

If you want high IQ and fast PDAF, then what you have now is the way to go. Canon have made a fortune out of the 7D and 100-400 for bird shooters and rightly so. Personally I use 500mm far more.

I attack it a slightly different way and theres not many it suits. I use the MF Canon FD's on the NEX but also used them on the Panny G2. I was hoping the GH3 was getting focus peaking and I doubt now it will, otherwise I would have got one.

If bird shooting and especially BIF's is your calling with fast PDAF AF lenses, you already own one of the best solutions IMO with the 500mm F/4L I use the older Manual focusing FD 500 F/4.5L and its used 90% of the time hand held. You won't find a sharper lens, although the 400 2.8L or the 300 F2.8L along with the 800 F/5.6L are also exceptional.

Weight is all relative and comes down to weight vs IQ. I do carry the 500mm all the time.

If you are willing to compromise, then the GH3 with the 100-300 is the way to go at the moment. The 2x crop is handy and the specs look great on that camera along with a decent size for longer lenses when the time comes.

All the best and good luck.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
 nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Mavica CD1000 +11 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow