Just ordered a 50 mm macro

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
skysurfer5
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?
Re: Just ordered a 50 mm macro
In reply to Roger Engelken, Feb 7, 2013

I really don't see the 14-35 or 35-100 in my future.  I know both lenses are outstanding, but the former is too limited in focal length for me and the latter is far too heavy to hike with, which is a major component in my photography.  To cover these focal lengths when I hike, I sometimes take the 11-22 and 40-150 and other times its the 12-60 with the TC 1.4.

I did one hike two years ago with the E-5, 12-60, 50-200, 8 fisheye, TC 1.4, and a full-size tripod and said never again.  I'm getting too old to carry that much weight on a 12-mile hike, especially when you factor in food and water.  The hike--Toulumne Meadows to below Glen Aulin in Yosemite--is not a difficult hike, but that was too much weight.  As it was, 90% of the images from that hike were handheld with the 12-60.  The only time I used the tripod was for short videos of some waterfalls.  The extra weight for the additional gear wasn't worth it.  I now have a GorillaPod that will handle the E-5+12-60 so that will be my support system for future hiking.

On the other hand, the 7-14 and 150 fit my needs like a glove.  The 7-14 would expand my superwide capability for such places as Yosemite, doing certain types of time lapse, and even widefield astronomy imaging.  I usually use my two film cameras (OM-1N & OM-4T) with lenses ranging from a 15 mm Sigma fisheye to a Zuiko 135 f/3.5 for astronomy, but I have gotten some fair to good results from my DSLRs.  The 7-14 would be a good Milky Way lens when I don't want to use the 8 mm fisheye.

The 150 is the right focal length for our local zoo and candids (I do a lot of candids for our church's Children's Ministry program that make their way in to slide show presentations; I also do video for that too). The 150 would be wonderful for piggyback astronomy imaging in place of the Zuiko 135 f/3.5.  I am getting ready to order a better mount for astrophotography, which is part of the whole equation.

One of the attractions of photography that applies equally well to astronomy is that you never really run out of stuff to buy for it.  

-- hide signature --

'Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?' …Winston S. Churchill

skysurfer5's gear list:skysurfer5's gear list
Olympus E-5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow