Is it possible to make an IS Prime at non-IS quality.

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Forrest
Forum ProPosts: 14,666
Like?
Re: Optically outstanding IS lenses & prices drop first year
In reply to chironNYC, Feb 7, 2013

chironNYC wrote:

When Canon first introduces a lens or camera, there is a price premium because it is new and those who want it NOW and can buy it will buy it. But as another poster pointed out in another thread (I think it was Legion5), Canon drops its prices significantly over the first year a product is out. The 24mm IS is down to $619 at Amazon. The 35 f/2 will be cheaper by summer.

As for IS degrading image quality: the 100mm L 2.8 IS is as sharp and colorful as can be; the 28 mm IS is optically the best and sharpest 28mm that Canon makes, the 24mm IS is optically excellent, arguably better than the 24 1.4 at 2.8 and smaller and certainly better than the non-IS version of the 24mm, the 70-200 IS lenses at both f/4 and /2.8 are best-in-class, and the 70-300 L IS is an outstanding lens optically. Not to mention the 600mm L f/4 IS that is so sharp you need to use Kevlar gloves when you handle it. So, the designers can find a way to integrate IS with very high optical quality. And in terms of an actual image, IS can add an awful lot to the finished product. Personally, I don't think I will ever buy a non-IS lens again.

Definitely does not match my experience!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow