Started Feb 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sarit
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?
Lens dilemma for NEX 5R (Travelling)
Feb 7, 2013

Hello to all the photographers here I've been browsing this forum quite a time reading reviews, articles and fantastic discussions. Because of the ease of accessibility and my laziness, never really signed up.

I am going to buy the NEX 5R in the next month. I've been following the series since its inception back in 2010 and the IQ and low light performance really amazed me. Now, here's the options I have :

1. NEX 5R + 18-55mm -> €560

2. NEX 5R + 16-50mm PZ -> €710

3. NEX 5R + 16-50mm PZ + 55-210mm -> €940

In any of the options, I'll add the Sigma 19mm & 30mm f/2.8 and probably a CPL and an ND Grad filter too.

My shooting style consists of mainly Landscapes, Nature, some street and a few portraits. I love travelling I also love shooting birds but that is not my immediate priority. So, I've been questioning myself whether I really NEED the telephoto zoom. I can always get it later, may be a few bucks extra if not bought with body. Telephoto lens has its use in landscapes, but I do not think so much that it warrants a €300 lens which I'll probably end up using only 5-10% at most.

Now the next question, 16-50mm vs 18-55mm. The reviews seems to favor the older kit other than the size compared to the PZ. Since I'll have the Sigma 30mm with me always, I'm not sure I'll have any benefit getting the PZ over the 18-55mm as walk around lens. Plus, I can also save a bit.

I can afford all the combinations, but would like to limit the gears to what I actually NEED. I can always save the money for future lenses (Macro, fast Wideangle/Telephoto zooms).

FYI, I'll be travelling to Greece in April and probably to Andaman islands in August.

Thanks for your help

sarit's gear list:sarit's gear list
NEX5R Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow