Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hughesnet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,024Gear list
Like?
Re: I am afraid that
In reply to elliottnewcomb, Feb 7, 2013

elliottnewcomb wrote:

I know the price of RX1 is mostly in the world of pros, but:

If you will accept Jpeg when you want some zoom, the RX1 has some options similar to the rx100.

sony's manual page about RX1 zoom options:

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/dvimag/DSCRX1_guide/en/contents/02/01/02/02.html

a. Extended Optical Zoom, no deterioration, available when using less mp

Large 24 mp is 1x 35 mm; Medium 10 mp is 1.5x 52mm; Small 4.6 mp is 2.3x 80 mm

b. Clear Image Zoom, 'near optical', gives additional zoom if desired.

Large 24 mp is 2x 70 mm; Medium 10 mp is 3x 105 mm; Small 4.6 mp is 4.5x 158 mm

Someone ought to give these features a try and post some examples so potential buyers concerned about lack of zoom know what is possible.

I posted an album of every zoom option on the rx100 on this site for that reason:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9701497431/albums/rx100-extended-optical-and-clear-zoom

If you suspend doubt and actually take the time to look, I am sure you will be surprised.

Cropping works, but, if zoomed, the exposure metering is taken at the desired portion of the shot.

As for Jpeg, many rx100 owners argue it is so good they are not using RAW all the time, so, for the occasional use, Jpeg can give some zoom to the smallest full frame camera out there. Wow.

Elliott

Those "features" are fake. It is just cropping an image and a you said is in jpg. May as well take the shot in RAW and then crop it to your desired "zoom" in PP as use those features.

Hughesnet's gear list:Hughesnet's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow