ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Carl Welsby
Regular MemberPosts: 111Gear list
Like?
Will I see a difference changing to an HD monitor
Feb 7, 2013

Hi guys,

You'll have to cut me some slack here as I not really an expert on the subject of monitors and graphics cards etc.

I currently have the following PC:

Lenovo with i5-2320 CPU @3.00ghz with 8gb RAM running Windows 7 64 bit edition. I use Lightroom, PSE 9, Photomatix and have just started to learn Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12 64 bit. My PC has no HDMI slot, so my monitor is just a cheap AOC 2050 device.

All my software runs really well and indeed the monitor is fine, however locally I can swap in a new graphics card (or is it a video card...?) for around £40 that will give me an HDMI port and allowing me to add a (larger) HD monitor.

So, here's my question -

1. What difference am I going to see to my photos? I assume that photos will look pretty much as they are, but will I get a wider gamut of colour if i choose a higher quality HD monitor?

2. I assume that HD videos will look better as i'll be looking at them in HD, but are there any other benefits i'm going to see?

3. If it's a no brainer and I should be upgrading can you recommend a monitor in the region of £200 (or $200 - you guys in the US always get a better deal on technology )

To be honest if you can give me any guidance here i'd be appreciative.

Thanks

Carl

Carl Welsby's gear list:Carl Welsby's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Sony SLT-A99 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow