Panasonic 100-300 or ......?

Started Feb 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
C Sean
Regular MemberPosts: 297
Like?
Re: Panasonic 100-300 or ......?
In reply to paulieRD, Feb 7, 2013

paulieRD wrote:

I'm heading on safari in June and think it wise to get a suitable lens. I have a GF3 at the moment so it makes sense to get the Panasonic 100-300.

The question is can I justify the cost versus the Panasonic 45-175 or 45-200?

Can I also justify the investment in such a low spec. body? Bearing in mind that the next body I buy will be a DSLR, but I won't be buying a DSLR and long lens for this trip.

You done the intelligent thing coming here and asking for advice.

Judging by your post you haven't been on Safari and you need to do your homework on this. Each Safari park is different to each other because of the plant life. For example Kruger Park in South Africa is bush land while the parks in Kenya is grass land.

The GF3 isn't fit for purpose. To use the Panasonic 100-300mm lens, the camera body need to have good grip and have an EVF. The GF3 doesn't have these features and it's too small to support a lens that big.

The other problem animals can get right up close to the safari cars and Africa is very dusty. You will need multiple bodies and lenses for different shooting situations. Changing lenses is out of the question. So really you are looking spending money on.

Panasonic G3

Panasonic 100-300mm

Panasonic 45-150 or maybe 14-140 for the GF3

or

2 Panasonic G3s

Panasonic 100-300mm

Panasonic 14-140mm

The best option is to spend the £500 on the bridge camera and bring along a GF3 just in case unless you are planning on selling it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow