70-200 f4 VR tested on Photozone

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Friedrich von Hrsten
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
Re: Why not a 100-400/4.5-5.6?
In reply to Shotcents, Feb 7, 2013

Hi Robert,

Lots of people have asked Nikon for 70-200mm f4 over the last couple of years, ever since Canon got their excellent model on the market.

I had a look at the new Nikon 70-200mm f4 last month and tested it wide open with a D600 at our local dealer, snapping shots of people at very low light levels, higher ISO.

I WAS IMPRESSED! No matter what you say, this lens is light, compact, and very sharp and crisp, with rich colours wide open at 200mm f4. For many people this is a dream come true!

PROBLEM: Nikon messed up the dream with their price-tag! Like the original D3x, they produced a great product, at a lousy price. Nobody was thinking of that price. If they marketed the lens at $1000, I would buy it instantly!

Please don't compare this 70-200mm with a 100-400mm -- they are like chalk and cheese. I myself am waiting for just such a lens, a pro quality lens that is SHARP AT 400mm f5.6, and nothing like the lousy old 80-400mm lens.

The difference in size and hand holding will be vast -- nobody in his right mind would use a 100-400mm lens for weddings, general shots etc. Such a big lens fits into a different category, more for wildlife, nature, sport etc.

Personally I think the new 70-200mm f4 is a great product at a poor price. For wildlife photographers it will be great if you shoot DX, but with FX not much better reach than a kit lens...

I am waiting for my dream lens: 100-400mm f5.6 that is SHARP WIDE OPEN AT 400MM!

PROBLEM: I have nightmares over the PRICE Nikon is going to ask for the lens...!

Until then I'll keep using my 18-105, 24-85 and 200-400mm lenses.

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Friedrich von Hrsten's gear list:Friedrich von Hrsten's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow