Samyang 14mm Chipped VS. Unchipped

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
MikeInIndy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,057Gear list
Like?
Re: Samyang 14mm Chipped VS. Unchipped
In reply to Crudzilla, Feb 7, 2013

I think you're overthinking the problems.  The aperture ring has an indexing tab, once you enter the focal length and max aperture the camera can still read the aperture via the indexing tab.  Nikon aperture rings are "standardized" so each click of a certain distance is a stop, so every click down is a stop down.  Thusly the camera can do metering etc without any issue.

Also I think most of the newer cameras including the D600 will allow focus confirm even without the chip, but you'd want to look more into that.  For a minor price difference (here in the US it's only 20-30 bucks more for a chipped version) the chip is worth it in case future cameras lose the aperture index or you ever use it on a lower end DX cam in a pinch and for resale.  If you're paying 100 or more as you indicated there's probably no real good reason to worry.  Granted not being able to use shutter priority and program auto may also be a consideration for some (or a future buyer) those would be the only two features I know of that wouldn't work right.

-- hide signature --

-Mike

MikeInIndy's gear list:MikeInIndy's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow