Started Feb 7, 2013 | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,715
Like?
D300 dawn shoots
Feb 7, 2013

The view of Morecambe Bay (Northwest England) is at its best at this time of year. I've photographed it from my house now for a number of years, and it continues to bring up new compositions through the ever changing channels, sandbanks, tides and light.

This selection are from this week. The wintery storm brining in some of my favourite photo conditions for the bay, then some vibrant sunrises. More colour than I'm used to.

All taken with D300 and 70-200. My D700 is a far better camera, but in the equation of camera v lens, my older 70-200 vignettes badly for this kind of landscape, and doesn't have the necessary reach. So the D300 lives bringing out the best from the telephoto. When I use the 300 for this kind of shot, it is very noticeable how the more limited dynamic range forces more exposures when bracketing, though enough dynamic rance to processed from a single exposure, not blending multiples in all but the first shot where a slightly brighter exposure was used for the foreground.

Colourful sunrise reflecting off the channels behind Grange over Sands town centre

Strong colour about 60° south of the point of sunrise, taken about 15 mins before the first direct light, by which time the colour was bleaching out.

Winter storm over Jenny Brown's Point. Sleety snow, quite distinctive.

More sleety snow, over Silverdale. The sleet gave a wonderful variable filter effect, simplifying the detail in the shot. The important area proved to be the bottom left, I took several exposures, my faves being the less detailed.

A scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Another of Jenny Brown's Point. A vibrant band of red well before sunrise. Note the street/house lights bottom right.

-- hide signature --

UK wedding photographer in the Lake District
http://www.johnleech-weddingphotography.co.uk
For my landscapes and fine art photography:
http://www.johnleechstudio.co.uk

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Nikon D300 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow