Started Feb 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Placation101
Regular MemberPosts: 455
Like?
Warning: Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Lens Strange Rainbow Flare
Feb 7, 2013

First thoughts on the lens. Sounds like a great bang for your buck. I really wanted to buy this especially at $750. It undercuts the 16-35mm nikon by $500 and the 14-24mm (its inspiration) by $1250. From the majority of accounts and reviews (outside of quality control issues, so presuming you get a good copy) it provides a pretty darn good image, at least in the hunt with Nikon wide zooms. One thing stopped me . . .

Flare ?: This is not, for me "Normal" flare (if it is flare?). What you will see is separated colors (rainbow) on either side of a bright point of light proportional to the light intensity. Aperture and again position in frame do seem to cause a change in the appearance but not the presence. This is limited to night shots as far as I can tell.These flares generally are on opposing sides of the light source and point/angle toward the center of the lens/frame. This is not hard to find really in forums and sample shots if you are looking. I did e-mail tokina customer support though after my search, now that i see it is a design issue, i will not hold my breath. I have posted several shots, from several cameras. None of them are my images, just products of digging.

My thoughts: One shot, okay kind of a cool effect, maybe?(see below). Every shot I take at night worrying about that, sorry for me NO!. I just wanted to tell people because I saw flare in  forums/reviews and I at first almost dismissed it with a , well the 14-24 has it too. I would have been disappointed! I know my eyes would have magnetized to every occurrence in my shots. If you don't care, then by all means, if you are on a budget and need f/2.8 on a wide zoom it seems great for the price.

If you have any shots, an explanation, or have seen this this occurrence in any other lens please post.

(PS: I wouldn't mind seeing any milky way shots if you've got any with this...)

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow