HELP: Olympus Zuiko 50mm 1.8 vs. MD Rokkor 50mm 1.4 (aka didn't expect to win both eBay bids)

Started Feb 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
squirrelyfox
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
HELP: Olympus Zuiko 50mm 1.8 vs. MD Rokkor 50mm 1.4 (aka didn't expect to win both eBay bids)
Feb 7, 2013

Hey guys,

Spurred on by all the awesome photos I've seen on here with legacy lenses, I decided to bid on some over on good ol eBay. Lo and behold, I ended up winning two different bids:

1) Olympus Zuiko 50 mm F/1.8

2) Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm F/1.4

I was hoping from some advice from those savvy vets around here who know their lenses about which one I should keep?

I'd obviously tend towards the Rokkor since it's faster, but given the relatively small difference in aperture (or is it?) I'd like to hear what people have to say about overall IQ, bokeh, colour etc. Is there a particularly good reason to choose one over the other?

I'd also love to hear recommendations on what adapters people use for either brand of lenses as well since I still need to purchase that. And for that matter, are adapters cheap enough that maybe I'm best off buying the adapter for each one so I can test them out myself?

I'm relying on you guys Thanks all in advance for the help.

squirrelyfox's gear list:squirrelyfox's gear list
NEX5R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow