How good is the original 5D Mark I compared to the 2013 Canon's?

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
gipper51
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,001Gear list
Like?
Re: How good is the original 5D Mark I compared to the 2013 Canon's?
In reply to gromero, Feb 7, 2013

The short answer is "yes", the 5D still competes very well with most modern cameras.  While it's "only" 12.8mp and tops out at ISO 3200, they are some of the sharpest pixels you will find and 3200 is very usable.

My 5D gets alot of use even though I also have a 5D2 in the bag.  The old model produces images that just have a nice look to them.  The 5D2 is my go-to body for my architectural jobs (where I wish I could afford medium format IQ), for most other things I use the 5D.  I rarely find the resolution to be limiting, and I've made 20x30 inch prints from this camera that look spectacular.  Unless I know I will be needing higher ISO than 3200 I have no reserves about taking the 5D instead of the 2 for most applications.

I would not buy the 5D based on if it's better or worse than a newer APS-C model camera.  The latest crop sensors offer better ISO and more resolution (if your lenses are good enough).  Buy it if you want the characteristics a FF sensor offers.  Big sensors will always render an image differently than a smaller sensor.  Buy a 5D if you want the larger viewfinder, shallower DOF, to use lenses at their true focal lengths.  If you want that, the 5D is a great buy these days.

That said, I would not trade my 5D for any crop sensor camera Canon currently makes.

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ThatNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow