Mike Arledge
Regular MemberPosts: 358Gear list
Like?
Re: X100 after latest firmware: Low Light Dance Studio Work
In reply to Felix11, Feb 6, 2013

Felix11 wrote:

Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

I have been lusting after an X100 or X100s for a while now. I have to say that these images images dampen my enthusiasm.

However, it could just be that I don't appreciate how dark it was in the studio!

Is there any way to describe that?

Also, why did you shoot at ISO 800 1/30 sec rather than ISO 1600 1/60 ?

Please make allowance for my ignorance - you are a professional and I am an amateur, and a newbie at that!

Thanks

Hmm, I am not sure what you mean by dampen your enthusiasm, but your call on this camera.  The studio was pitch black save for what the constant lights were providing.  As you can see, there is a lot of directional shadow from the boom light.

I shot at the settings I did because I thought 1/30 second mounted to a tripod was plenty fast to reasonably stop movement, while still allowing motion to be implied and her graceful movements to be maintained.  While this camera can push ISO 1600 without a problem, I don't like to go above ISO 800 unless I need to personally.

Don't let these images be the end all be all for evaluating this camera.  They only represent a specific application that is a bit more artsy/fringe than most people go for.  It is a solid performer for many applications.

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 II Canon EOS 70D +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow