Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jocau
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
6D vs 5D3, can't make up my mind...
Feb 6, 2013
The whole situation is really driving me insane now and then.

If focus errors because of focus&recompose didn't exist, I would immediately go for a 6D. But since I want to apply the rule of thirds to (most of) my pictures, I'm really afraid that focus errors would render the 6D useless because the AF points on the 6D are so centered (so focus&recompose is needed almost everytime when applying the rule of thirds). I'm also afraid that I'll always have to use the center AF point to focus&recompose because the others will fail to lock on. And when using the center AF point, focus errors will be bigger than when using one of the peripheral AF points since the peripheral AF points are located closer to the "thirds" of an image.
And then there's the 5D3. I really would like to have its extremely versatile AF. All the other extra features don't really intrest me (except for the 100% viewfinder). Problem is that it's very expensive and doesn't have WiFi so I'd have to buy a clumsy WiFi unit (which makes it even more expensive) and attach it to the camera before I can use the EOS Remote app for remote shooting (iPhone/iPad). As I mentioned earlier I want as little noise as possible, so the 6D has a slight edge for me regarding image quality at high ISO values. I also like the "Single Point Spot AF" of the 5D3 which seems very nice to nail the focus on tiny objects/spots (e.g. the eyes).
So what do I shoot? Still life stuff, products I buy, portraits and just (static) things that catch my eye. Tried to shoot sports with my 550D once (Aikido training), but that wasn't a great success... When the specs of the 6D were announced, I was really disappointed about it having only 1 crosstype AF point. Yet the built-in WiFi got me really excited and is one of the things I want THE MOST because it will make it possible to get very good portraits of myself using my iPhone or iPad (EOS Remote app). However I'm wondering if the AF is accurate when using the EOS Remote app since the rectangular AF point is rather big. So will it not only focus on e.g. my eye but also on my eyebrow which could cause my eyes to be rendered a bit soft (apertures between F/2 and F/4)?
For months I've been wondering if I should get a 6D or a 5D3 and almost everyday my preference changes. I have a 550D (T2i) right now and I want to buy a fullframe camera because I'm not satisfied with the amount of noise I get when going higher than ISO800. I don't shoot so many pictures a year (about 1000-2000) so I'm having a hard time justifying the price of any of the mentioned cameras. However I'm a perfectionist who wants as little noise as possible and who wants the camera to really nail the focus so I can get really sharp images instead of images with focus errors in it.
Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow