Do I understand pixel setting on the OLY XZ2?

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
clear glass
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?
Do I understand pixel setting on the OLY XZ2?
Feb 6, 2013

Olympus did say it had something to do with printing but I didn't understand what.

I set pixels to the max in the XZ7, thinking it would improve print resolution, but apparently it's instructions to the printer on the resolution of the print; if it's set high in the camera, the printing program (Elements 6) offers only the range of print sizes that will accommodate that dpi; at max pixels, that came down to about the size of a pencil eraser head.

Solution (if you make this mistake): set the size to custom in your printing program (for me, Elements 6) and range of print sizes offered reverts to normal.

Do I have this right?

I seem to remember 300 pixels is about as much as needed for a print from the XZ2.

Second question: Does the pixel number set in the camera have anything to do with the magnification at which you see pixels? That seemed to be the case when I set the pixels at high in the camera. I saw them when the preview image was less than the size of a postage stamp.

Third question: Does setting pixels to 300 in the camera mean the printer is working too hard on a 4 x 6 and using more ink than needed for the distance at which you'll be likely to view the print? Or is it useful if you tread the 4 x 6 as a contact print and look at it closely?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow