NikonD7000 or Pentax K30

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
NCChic3
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Re: NikonD7000 or Pentax K30
In reply to DigitalPhilosopher, Feb 6, 2013

DigitalPhilosopher wrote:

If you're really budget-minded, the best value would be a used D90. It would also give you the ability to autofocus bit older lenses, that have a screw-type autofocus. If you can be relatively close to action, you can get an 85mm f/1.8 for a very competitive price. A combo like that can be had for less than $500 probably

In any case, I ​very ​strongly recommend getting a bit older camera, like the D90, and invest in lenses. The difference will be significantly in your favor compared to a newer camera with a lens of lesser quality.

If you can't be very close to action, you would need a tele zoom. A cheap option would be the Nikkor AF-S VR 55-300 (55-200 even cheaper) - but keep in mind that it's not very suitable for indoor shots (maximum aperture is small, so in low light you'll be struggling.

EDIT: Another good idea would be an older AF 80-200 f/2.8 zoom. It's less than $500 but will give you the low light capabilities you need, without needing to spend $1000+ for the 70-200 VR version

-- hide signature --

Check my blog for reviews, tips & tutorials:
Amateur Nikon
Follow me on Twitter:
@amateurnikon

Where would I buy a used camera like the D90 as well as the lenses you are suggesting? I've looked at so many places on line that I don't know where/who to trust to buy from.

Thank you so much! Very helpful advice!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow