D800 worse that I had hoped for :( Locked

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,971Gear list
Re: D800 worse that I had hoped for :(
In reply to msusic, Feb 6, 2013

msusic wrote:

Recently, I got D800 as a replacement to my Olympus 43 and m43 gear. Friend also switched since we're doing weddings together (from 5D2).

We got D800 and plan to get D600 as a second body, but I'm quite disapointed in D800 regarding few things.

True, resolution in good light is really good and as a landscape camera it's great.

However, first I noticed problems taking portraits.

First, AF in lower light is hard to rely on as it has tendency to miss on different distances.

Second, it's hard to get sharp images with 85mm 1.8G with shutter speeds under 1/160s.

Going by old shutter speed rules, it would be sufficient to have 1/80-1/100s, but of course due to higher resolution, D800 is much more sensitive to shake or subject movement.

It's only "more sensitive" if you are going to judge your images by pixel peeping everything at 100% zoom.  Common sense would tell you this.  If you buy a camera with twice as many pixels it's going to show more camera shake when you pixel peep.  DUH!

But it is NO more sensitive to camera shake if you compare it to your Olympus at the same output size.  If you find that it is then YOU are doing something wrong.  If you get sharp images for output on your Olympus at 1/focal length you will get the same on your D800... at the same output size.

Now, if you want to take full advantage of all those pixels in the D800... severe cropping, very large prints, etc.  Then yes, you have to up your technique... shutter speed, tripod, or something.  But again, duh!  What did you expect?

This, along with very shallow DoF sometimes means I have to use high ISO often to get sufficient shutter speed and DoF.

While D800's high ISO is quite good, it decreases it's quality and nullifies it's resolution advantage.

In comparison, I used to have Olympus OMD with 45mm 1.8 lens and in lower light if subject posed I could easily use f1.8 and 1/30-1/40s or lower to get sharp results, but with D800, I have to use 1/160s and probably f2.8 to tame DoF and remove excessive CA in OOF areas.

This means I have to use at least 2-3x stops higher ISO at which point D800 gives worse image quality than the OMD at much higher price and size.

If subject is blurry, all those pixels won't do much good. Resizing won't help either.

Is it true that D800 only makes sense for landscape photographers and those who use it mostly in either good light or on a tripood?

Absolutely not.

Also, sometimes the card write light stays lit and I can't preview the image until it stops (which can take a 30s or more), despite very fast CF card in the camera.

No clue what's going on there.  30s??  Never had that problem.  Are you talking about a situation where you are doing a RAW burst of 15 images or something?

I have no idea what to do to fix this issue, except selling it off...

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Marin

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow