Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
John M Roberts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,547Gear list
Like?
Re: Shortcents, specific please
In reply to Shotcents, Feb 6, 2013

Shotcents wrote:

larrywilson wrote:

I'm with you jhinkey, I was wondering who we were. Maybe we are the only ones that the Nikon 70-200 f4.0 fits the bill. All of us have different needs and for my need the Nikon 70-200 f4.0 fits. I just received mine a few days ago, impressive fast af and by the tests I have seen is an excellant lens. The build looks great. I will use the lens more for landscape and close wildlife work and the f 4.0 speed is fast enough for me, especially for landscape where I need a lot of dof.

Larry

No matter what anyone says, the only thing I keep hearing is that the F4 is sharp. Well it should be. It's F4. Canon has a better version, or at least it's as good. Such a lens is old news.

Unless you're shooting landscapes and looking for corner sharpness on a budget there are a LOT of options for this range, including several consumer grade lenses.

The VRII is sharp at 2.8. At F4 it's sharper. Quite a few lenses are very sharp at F4 and my consumer zooms can go toe-to-toe with the 70-200 F4 for center sharpness in any practical respect.

So what brand are you using or did I miss you mentioning it previously? Those having to carry equipment long distances, climbing, hiking, snowshoeing, skiing etc. and usually shooting well above f4 most of the time will find this lens a welcome offering should they want to stick with Nikon. I'm surprised they took so long to offer it. I will consider looking at other brands as well.

As some others said, the F4 lacks the "wow" factor. It's the new kid on the block, but really breaks no new ground. It's a very good lens that I happen to view as a very poor value. But that's mainly because I usually don't like F4 glass, with the exception of the 16-35 F4.

Please elaborate of your exception and admiration for the 16-35 F4. I have pondered getting that just to avoid the bulk and expense of GND's for my 14-24.

Robert

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow