Herts_JoaTMoN
Contributing MemberPosts: 654Gear list
Like?
Re: Urgent buy all round lens tips for snow
In reply to Pollos, Feb 6, 2013

Pollos wrote:

Herts_JoaTMoN wrote:

Pollos wrote:

Hello , i will go in the snow mountain nex week but i whant avoid to travel with sony a700 and big lense.

So i whant go with my sony nex 5 but i have only the 16mm and other prime with LEA1 adapter.

I open this topic for ask you what all round lens i can buy: 18-200 Tamron or sony?If sony what model ?

In alternative i can buy 16-50+55-200 but i think i will have the same bad quality then 18-200.

Other DOubt: can my nex 5 survive to cool snow?

There shouldnt be any issues withthe NEX 5 in the snow other than reduced battery life due to the cold. A second battery may be handy. Unless you drop it in a puddle, then you might be in trouble, but snow shouldnt be to much of an issue as long and you dry it after getting snow on it ASAP.

I had the Tamron lens (now sold it though). Its smaller than the original Sony zoom but very similar to the later Sony model (LE). Its still quite big though. I found that the image quality was fine, but the lens was too big for the body and defeated the purpose of me getting a NEX in the first place. The things i shoot with a tele lens require a fast shutter speed anyway so I'm better off using fast legacy primes.

Do you really need telephoto for this environment?
If you like primes then the 30mm sigma, the 35mm sony and 50mm sony are all great lenses. Otherwise either of the shorter zooms with do. The 16-50 has the benefit of size, and the 18-55 of less distortion and price.

-- hide signature --

Ben Williams - UK
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hertsjoatmon/
NEX 5N / E 18-55. E 16. UWA. Fisheye. Sigma 19. / Minolta MC 50 1.4. Tamron 90 2.5 Macro. Vivitar 100 3.5 Macro. Soligor 135 2.8 / Raynox DCR-250 / 49mm CP filter / Spare battery / LIM's flash bounce. Film canister diffuser / OPTECH wriststrap
Nikon V1 / N1 10-30. N1 30-110 / Franiec Grip.
Sony TX10.

I never use telephoto shots but i want some coverage because i shotted with 70-200 this elicopter in last year and this land with wide angle sigma 10-20 :

(This is with sigma 10-20 at 10mm)

I can see what you mean. For me it came down to how often I used the tele end and whether I was happy to compromise quality at the wide end in order to get that additional reach. I decided no, sold my Tamron 18-200, got the Nikon v1 with 30-110 in the sales (probably a little smaller than the Tamron over all, includes a view finder and extremely fast autofocus) and to get the SEL35 for my NEX. The V1 is also cheaper than the super zooms. Those 2 cameras and lenses and my sigma 19 will make up my standard kit.

-- hide signature --

Ben Williams - UK
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hertsjoatmon/
NEX 5N / E 18-55. E 16. UWA. Fisheye. Sigma 19. / Minolta MC 50 1.4. Tamron 90 2.5 Macro. Vivitar 100 3.5 Macro. Soligor 135 2.8 / Raynox DCR-250 / 49mm CP filter / Spare battery / LIM's flash bounce. Film canister diffuser / OPTECH wriststrap
Nikon V1 / N1 10-30. N1 30-110 / Franiec Grip.
Sony TX10.

Herts_JoaTMoN's gear list:Herts_JoaTMoN's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon 1 V1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow