Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 26,567Gear list
Like?
Re: 70-200 f4 VR a home-run
In reply to marike6, Feb 6, 2013

marike6 wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

Ken Strain wrote:

Thanks for posting this! I have not been looking at Photozone much recently as it seemed relatively dead.

It was interesting to compare the new lens with the Tamron 70-300VC which I got (used) as a stop-gap when moving from 5Dii to a D800. I am not dissapointed with the Tamron even having used a Canon 70-200/4 LIS, but was very curious to see how the new lens turned out.

The test you kindly linked shows the Nikon 70-200 to be just a little better than the Tamron (Nikon FF test) in several respects (mainly at 200mm where the aperture difference starts to become significant). The results don't convince me to spend 4x as much on the new lens as I did on the Tamron, not yet anyway.

Ken

If you shoot people and subjects where the extreme corners are not of much concern, the 70-200 F4 really is just an overpriced consumer zoom.

Consumer zoom? The 70-200 f4 is a gold ring Nikkor. You can choose to buy an expensive D800 and slap a mediocre third party zoom on it if you want to. You can even post low-contrast photos that you think prove something, but just prove the opposite POV. It's all good.

But the fact is if a photographer wants a proper telephoto zoom with a small size and a tripod collar that's similar to weight and dimension to the excellent Canon 70-200 f4L IS, he has very few choices in Nikon F-mount.

As luck would have it, Nikon produced a cracking lens in the 70-200 f4/G VR and which Photozone tested and happened to give it it's highest mark of "Highly Recommended".

Not sure why that bothers some (in fact it seems to bothers some so much, they go on daily rants trying to prove why you don't need such a lens).

But if you want a lens that's extremely small, has great handling, blazing AF, high build quality, is sharp across the frame by f5.6, has great close focus ability, and has extremely high color/contrast we've come to expect from the better Nikkors, the 70-200 f4 VR is a home run.

AS you say, there is more to a zoom than just resolution figures, like AF speed and accuracy, bokeh, colour rendition, contrast, Nano Coat, build quality....

My 70-200 f4 VR sample gallery

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5543808958/albums/nikon-70-200-f-4g-ed-vr

By the way, I brought my d800, 28-50-85 1.8G and 70-200 f4 to Europe and at 9.5 kg my Lowepro backpack just made the weight restrictions for the airlines. Had I been carrying my previous 70-200 2.8 VRI, I might have had the honor of paying $200 just to get my bag on the plane.

All the best, and happy shooting, Markus

Robert

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow