Flat view
MrBlissfly
Regular MemberPosts: 269
Like?
DP2m Colour resolution test
Feb 6, 2013

Hi

Objective.

This test sets out to look at the consistancy of resolution of different colours relative to itself.

For example does a blue object reduce the resolution of the system.

Method.

A test chart was created using text coloured according to the LAB values of the Gretag colour checker, this was then printed onto Epson matt paper with a good profile using imageprint.

The target was lit by flash at f5.6 1/2, ISO100 white balance was taken from the white patch from the colourchecker passport. The exposures of the two cameras were set to match the same value on the colour checker white patch which was adjacent to the target.

The DP2m was repositioned to match (unfortunately not quite) the D800 field of view.

Cameras:

DP2m: Standard colour mode and colour and luminance set to minimum.

Upscale to match picture height was done using Lightroom ( I know that this is not neccessarily the best method, but here be dragons the options in PP are endless. I don't think that it interferes witht he objective though.)

Nikon D800, 50mm 1.4 afs, default rendering in Lightroom except a touch of clarity and approx 45/0.8/60/20 sharpening.

The results:

DP2m on Left, D800 right

and converted to grey scale:

again DP2m on left

I was not looking at colour accuracy here just the effect of colour on resolution.

Conclusion.

The test is probably flawed in ways, however, it does demonstrate to me that I could not simply down sample the D800 image to match the DP2m. Also the effect of PP stratagies could have an effect no this but I simply don't have the life to explore this.

Richard

-- hide signature --

Formerly posting as 'Blissfly'

Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Sigma DP2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow