Nex 6 but now ?

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
DmikeB
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
Re: Nex 6 but now ?
In reply to Steelergeek69, Feb 6, 2013

There is quite a nice discussion started by somebody who owned the NEX6 and then OM-D here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3360912

I've never used the NEX6 but used the NEX5n and the OM-D. The NEX5n benefits slightly from a larger sensor but I hated the menu system for taking pictures of our toddler (changing what the camera was doing was fiddly) and the auto focus particularly when shooting inside had trouble keeping up. If it did focus in low light then the image quality was better than the OM-D at high ISO. My understanding is that focusing on the NEX6 is similar to the 5n (even with on sensor phase detect) and the larger number of control dials makes setting things up easier but still the menu system and limits as to what you can assign dials to do get in the way.

The OM-D is much more configurable but there is quite a steep learning curve in setting it up. The auto focus is a important step better in poor lighting. It does not have the nice grip of NEX cameras but I find it much more enjoyable to use than the 5N.

They are both great cameras. If I bought a camera again I'd go for the OM-D rather than the NEX6 for as a lot of my photography is my kid. I'd get the NEX6 if I wasn't photographing such a fast moving and changing subject meaning that both auto focus was not so important and setting up the camera quickly was not a priority.

DmikeB's gear list:DmikeB's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow