Shallowest DOF: Nokton 17.5mm f/0.95 or 35mm f/1.4 on full frame?

Started Feb 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Digital Imaging Technician
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
Thank you
In reply to Dave Sanders, Feb 6, 2013

Dave Sanders wrote:

No siree. Though I can get background separation even with my 14/2.5. I have examples but I'm keeping them captive on my computer until a handsome ransom is paid for their release. So I can't show you. But trust me, it's possible. Ok, some examples. First, me practicing the popular 'duck face' which is all the rage among disreputable women these days.

And here is one with the background far away, offering even more separation from the background. Obviously, the camera is not so far away from the subject, as anatomy is the limiting factor here.

Use both. They are complimentary tools. Use the one that best fits your vision for a given scene/job.

Thank you for your samples.

I actually already have the 14mm f/2.5 and a GF3 myself. There will be no trouble achieving shallow DOF when focusing at something (you in this case ) at an arms long distance. Taking a full body portrait and still achieving significant background separation is a different matter.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow