Canon lover switched to RX-100, and it was terrible! Need advice....

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,624Gear list
Like?
Re: I keep coming back to the G1X.
In reply to GaryJP, Feb 6, 2013

GaryJP wrote:

So, despite its relative slowness and the fact I need to carry a close-up filter, I go back to the G1X every time I need the best IQ I can get for the size.

yes, Canon went for best image quality at a still affordable price in the G1X. No compromise with too compact or slow lens or noisy sensor, less in-camera processing required.

But clearly G1X is too big and too slow for most users. Let's hope they learn something from RX100 and make something better. The EOS-M shows that they can make compact cameras for the sensor size if they want. If they add an EVF and a collapsible standard zoom or a few pancake primes, that could be a very interesting alternative (at a higher price). But for a high quality walkaround camera, at the moment 2/3 inch or 1 inch sensor is probably the sweet spot and m43 or APS-C will require stretching things too much (either size/weight or quality).

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow