adding a lens for my NikonD7000

Started Jan 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
eddyshoots
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174
Like?
Re: adding a lens for my NikonD7000
In reply to dmulligan, Feb 6, 2013

dmulligan wrote:

I have a Nikon 80-200 AF f/2.8 lens and although I love it I find that it is too long for shooting sports indoors from the sideline on my d7000 with it's crop sensor. I think something with a range of 28-120 or 50-150 would be better. I also would bet that this lens would be much more appropriate on a full sensor camera where the focal length range is equivalent to a 50-120 lens on our crop sensor. Otherwise the 80-200 is a great lens. The screw type focusing is plenty fast on the d7000 but glacially slow on my olde d70.

Sigma makes 50-150 2.8 lenses and I believe Tokina has (had) one that is 50-135 2.8. Might be worth looking into.

I am currently struggling with what lens to use to shoot my son's hockey games as there seems to be no fast lens, constant f/2.8 for a zoom, available from any manufacturer that covers the range I want that also focuses fast enough. I am currently shooting with my 35mm f/1.8 on a d70 and the 80-200 on a d7000. I am looking for a good price on a used Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 lens to throw on my d70. I think that is going to be the only good solution that does not involve me getting a full frame body.

I actually have an older Nikkor 35-70 2.8 that I find ideal for many indoor sports. Never shot hockey with it but plenty of basketball and volleyball. As discussed above, I too sometimes find the 70mm on my 70-200 to be a little long for indoor sports.

Just tonight I shot in a hockey arena (not hockey just a corporate skate) and still found the 70mm a little tight. A couple of times I had kids fall right in front of me and couldn't zoom out far enough to catch a cute/funny moment. I also had a hell of time with my white balance....I couldn't find one where the ice was white enough without making the people look almost blue. Just being picky I guess.

I recommend renting each lens to try it out before making a purchase. Many stores will apply your rental cost to the purchase of the lens too. This way you can really know what works for you.

Yes, renting from a store where you can apply the rental cost to the purchase does make more sense than renting from a straight rental perspective.

D

-- hide signature --

eddyshoots

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow