Can I only use DT lens with LA-EA2?

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ray Maines
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,278Gear list
Like?
Size Matters
In reply to dpyy, Feb 6, 2013

dpyy wrote:

Thanks. But do you know why I have to multiply my focal length (by 1.5) in order to compare my NEX6+E50 to say SLT+A85. But on the other hand taking a A85 and putting it on the NEX6 behaves like a 85mm with no change. A bit confusing for a newbie.

This really isn't all that complicated.

The focal length of any given lens is just what it is. The view through the view finder of your camera will change depending on the size of the sensor in that camera.

All NEX cameras have a ASP/C sensor and all but one of the SLT cameras (the exception being the a99) have that same size sensor. Meaning that, except for the a99, a 50 mm lens will give the exact same view through the view finder on one Sony camera as the next. The reason a 50 mm lens would give a different view through the view finder than an 85 mm lens is because the focal length of those two lenses is different.

If I misunderstood the whole question and we're asking about the older DSLR (as in not SLT) a850 camera with a 50 mm lens, and why it would give a different view through the view finder than a NEX camera with a 50 mm lens, it's because those cameras have a different size sensor.

It's all about the size of the sensor

-- hide signature --

Buy books, not gear.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow