Steve1307
Regular MemberPosts: 300Gear list
Like?
Re: Zoom Lens Tests 135mm & f8
In reply to ozdean, Feb 6, 2013

ozdean wrote:

Steve1307 wrote:

Wow thanks Dean

Interesting to see the difference in performance on something other than a brick wall, much better to see your "outdoor studio".

60-250 and 70-200 are quite impressive. The one that has the edge to my eyes is the 60-250 by a little margin.

Yes you are right, better depth rendering and colour Sigma has the typical yellowing

If that colour is typical of Sigma, its a little off putting, but I guess it could be corrected in LR with custom profile.  Inconvenient for doing jpeg without the time to dedicate to pp.

I have the first 2 which are handy and lightweight for travel, but for kids sport (footy), motorsport and perhaps wildlife/hiking I'm considering one of the other 2.

Which Sigma is it? The 70-200 HSM II or the 70-200 HSM OS. The older one can be found at resonable price, I'm not that interested in the more expensive OS one. They are both pretty heavy which maybe OK for standing in a field but maybe not for hiking.

It was the II it was heavier so I returned it.

That was my main concern, but since its internal zoom it might be easier to balance on a monopod.  I handhold mostly, don't have a monopod.

I'm not a weightlifter. Lower size and weight is one reason why we're with Pentax.

Then there's t he DA*60-250 about twice the price of the old 70-200. I like the colours better but is it worth it and is the AF too slow? (compared to the Sigma and DA*300). It's a little lighter than the Sigma but then so would the bank account would be too.

It is the best think of it as a variable limited it is as good as the DA*300.

Sounds impressive. I consider the DA*300 image quality definitely worth the money I paid and down here the 60-250 is actually slightly cheaper.

Or do I just stick with my 55-300 in that range save the $$$$.

If you can afford it go with the 60-250 - weight is the only consideration

Thinking about it. Don't tell my wife.

For the weight concern. It would be fine to use at the local footy field,  I'd even pair it up with DA*300 at the motor racing but  not sure for hiking?   I do think the DA*60-250 is practical for wildlife since (as you'd know) in Australia you never know what sort of animal is going to jump out, fly at, bite or sting you at any time.

Generally, Id prefer using primes. What I'd really like is a nice  DA*150mm f2.8  with 58 or 62mm filter  weighing around 500g  with fast focus  and no problems with CA/PF. Not on the roadmap though.

I have some nice primes up to 100mm and a DA*300 but theres a gap in there to be filled with LBA.

In my bag are DFA100wr, *60-250, *300 and 18-135 on the camera - can go anywhere all wr

Nice outdoor kit

Steve1307's gear list:Steve1307's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow