Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
South Bird
Regular MemberPosts: 208Gear list
Like?
Question for Sensor Engineering Experts
Feb 6, 2013

I know from following the forum that from time to time some real engineering or scientific experts on sensor technology participate and my question is for them:

Is there an inherent technical difference between CCD and CMOS sensors such that the output will provide a different look after controlling for other variables?.  This would be separate and apart from the numerous issues that can effect that outcome such as image processors, gapless micro lenses, anti-aliasing filters, etc.  I am also not referring to the higher ISO performance of CMOS or the live view capability.

In other words, at base ISO are there technical factors based on the inherent difference in the sensors themselves such that there should be a difference in the look of the data generated by the sensor?

I apologize in advance if this has been covered before.  I did a search and didn't find a thread on point.

Thank you.

South Bird's gear list:South Bird's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow