looking for cheap full-frame lenses

Started Feb 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
24-85 VR (new FX version)
In reply to CareEmber, Feb 6, 2013

CareEmber wrote:

I got a Nikon D800 for Christmas, but all my existing lenses are DX format. I'm looking to get at least one versatile, general purpose zoom that's full-frame, auto-focus compatible, and under $500. Any suggestions? I'd really wanted the Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro until I realized it wasn't full-frame. I can't seem to find something equivalent.

If I were you, I'd probably get the new 24-85 3.5-4.5G ED VR.  It's has very good sharpness, particularly  in the center, VR, and it's nice and compact.  Many people who purchased the D600 who are upgrading to the f2.8 zooms or primes, are selling their 24-85 VRs on Ebay (do a search on Ebay and tons of like new copies will come up), so you can often find it for around $400, give or take.

Nikon 24-85 3.5-4.5G ED VR

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2204/AF-S-NIKKOR-24-85mm-f%252F3.5-4.5G-ED-VR.html

You can find tons of sample images on Flickr and elsewhere with a search, and Lenstip has also reviewed it.

Except for my 70-200 f4 VR, I use all primes, but I am in the market for normal zoom that won't brake the bank (I'd like either the 24-120 f4 VR or the Tamron 24-70 VC, but don't have the budget for one at this time).  But you'll find many good images with the new 24-85 VR Nikkor.

Other than that, I've used the Nikon 28-105 on my D800 and it is a sharp lens.  Vignetting and softer corners at close focus, but at infinity it's sharp.

Some like the Tamron 28-75 2.8, but I've read reports of corner issues on FF with that lens.  I know that many use it on APS-C quite happily.  On FF, you'd have to try it to make sure the borders and corners are good enough for the types of images you make.

Best of luck, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow