Moire: JPEG versus processed RAW (comparision pics)

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bernie Ess
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,928Gear list
Like?
Moire: JPEG versus processed RAW (comparision pics)
Feb 6, 2013

It has been done before, but I did it today with a shot that had difficult detail, a distant metallic structure close to resolution limit.

I converted the file with Silkypix (as delivered with the camera), that can produce some nice looking files. Then I discovered the artefacts, false colour and moiré, and thought "well that's the way it is", despite the X-Trans blabla sensor. Only later I rechecked the in camera JPEG made at the same time to find out that the internal processing is so much superior to the RAW converter Fujifilm ships with the cameras, calling it "RAW file converter EX", just like with the old DSLRs S3/S5pro. To me it seems that Silky did not receive the necessary infos to implement a clean conversion of the X-Trans, or they did not bother to spend much time optimizing it. A shame.

Here are the 2 files. Look how little artefacts (in comparision) the JPEG out of the camera shows, and how much Silkypix messed up the file. Sad. Every user who loves the camera should personally write to Fuji and ask them to release a proprietary software converter that brings the algorithms of the camera to the computer, plus all the parameters, including the film profiles that are to be found in the camera.

No additional processing or sharpening on the camera JPEG, the converted file has default sharpening as applied by Silkypix.

You have to click on the files in order to see them in original 100% resolution (roughly 1000px wide)

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-S3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow