Day out with RX100 in Melbourne Australia.

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shamatt
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?
Day out with RX100 in Melbourne Australia.
Feb 6, 2013

Hi!

Had a fun day out yesterday, putting the RX100 through its paces. My first real day alone with the new camera to experiment. Had a few problems.

Mainly I could not see the screen properly, but have to admit to forgetting about the sunny day setting for the LCD, Doh! But I found it (on Auto) impossible to get anything but the basic composition of the shot - I could not make out high lights or low lights so could not preview any shots I took, it lost all detail.

Major problem: I could not shoot at less than F4 or so because it is so bright here the 1/2000 second shutter speed is just not fast enough. I even set the ISO to 80 to try and slow things down, but found I was unable to use 1.8 - 4 for most of the day.This is a very bad mach up, Lack of ND filter, fast lens and slow shutter. Very frustrating.

Carrying the camera hand held using a wrist strap. I constantly had to clean the LCD screen as it was reflecting so many finger marks which made the visibility even worse.

I purchased the camera because of a recent neck injury. I don't want to be carrying heavy SLR equipment as it causes pain. However, holding the camera at eye level, arms out stretched is such an uncomfortable position, I came home aching all through my neck and shoulders. Ouch! Problem not solved!

I wonder if this is not the right camera for me.

But then I see the results and realise I have a lot more thinking to do on this issue.

Feedback very welcome!

Please look at the album there are many more shots of the Graffiti which was a difficult to take.

EDIT: Couple of things to add: Many of my shots looked overwhelmingly blue cast. I was shooting with Landscape selected in Creative Style, and manual WB to Sunny.

I notice in many shots white areas blow out completely which is not good!

The panoramas worked realy well. Had no problems with them.

This was taken about 7 feet from the wall in a straight ally way. Love the perspective.

See how the boat is blown out? I hve started reading reports of this problem. Not happy!

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow