Day out with RX100 in Melbourne Australia.

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Day out with RX100 in Melbourne Australia.
Feb 6, 2013

Had a fun day out yesterday, putting the RX100 through its paces. My first real day alone with the new camera to experiment. Had a few problems.

Mainly I could not see the screen properly, but have to admit to forgetting about the sunny day setting for the LCD, Doh! But I found it (on Auto) impossible to get anything but the basic composition of the shot - I could not make out high lights or low lights so could not preview any shots I took, it lost all detail.

Major problem: I could not shoot at less than F4 or so because it is so bright here the 1/2000 second shutter speed is just not fast enough. I even set the ISO to 80 to try and slow things down, but found I was unable to use 1.8 - 4 for most of the day.This is a very bad mach up, Lack of ND filter, fast lens and slow shutter. Very frustrating.

Carrying the camera hand held using a wrist strap. I constantly had to clean the LCD screen as it was reflecting so many finger marks which made the visibility even worse.

I purchased the camera because of a recent neck injury. I don't want to be carrying heavy SLR equipment as it causes pain. However, holding the camera at eye level, arms out stretched is such an uncomfortable position, I came home aching all through my neck and shoulders. Ouch! Problem not solved!

I wonder if this is not the right camera for me.

But then I see the results and realise I have a lot more thinking to do on this issue.

Feedback very welcome!

Please look at the album there are many more shots of the Graffiti which was a difficult to take.

EDIT: Couple of things to add: Many of my shots looked overwhelmingly blue cast. I was shooting with Landscape selected in Creative Style, and manual WB to Sunny.

I notice in many shots white areas blow out completely which is not good!

The panoramas worked realy well. Had no problems with them.

This was taken about 7 feet from the wall in a straight ally way. Love the perspective.

See how the boat is blown out? I hve started reading reports of this problem. Not happy!

Shamatt's gear list:Shamatt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow