free/cheap cams for kids group

Started Feb 5, 2013 | Questions thread
joe6pack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,195Gear list
Like?
Re: free/cheap cams for kids group
In reply to WirenL, Feb 6, 2013

WirenL wrote:

Thanks for the response... it may be a viable and cheap alternative...

The group is mainly set for kids to leave all electronics at home as this is more of a re-creation of the Oregon Trail journey.... we are out for a week with 1 day layover for rest and usually hike an average of 12 miles per day... typically ending up between 65-80 miles at the end of the week. We don't encourage personal electronics for distractions.

The camera is for documentary purposes and over my tenure as more of the returning kids are expressing more interest in exploring photography, the board is tossing around ideas to further enrich the learning experiences all adult members can give to the kids.

This is just one area they will learn about on their week long trek, along with equine skills, camp responsibilities, guest speakers relating things regarding the Pioneer histories, etc.

Not sure that the cell phone cam idea will work too well, but I won't discount it entirely.

Thank you for your suggestion.

-- hide signature --

Lee Wiren

If the idea is to leave electronics at home, I would say go for a film camera for the full experience. The kids gets to spend time thinking about what their photo will look like.

On the other hand, many cell phone cameras come with GPS which is great for taking outdoor pics.  You can easily have the photos tagged on Google Map so the kids see where they snap their photos. Which ties back in to the hike experience.

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow