Canon lover switched to RX-100, and it was terrible! Need advice....

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
jeffreyrdiamond
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Re: Canon lover switched to RX-100, and it was terrible! Need advice....
In reply to Robert Anderson, Feb 5, 2013

Robert Anderson wrote:

I recently upgraded from Canon s95 to the Sony RX100 and my experience has been just the opposite of yours. I find the RX100 to be far superior in every case, especially noise.

Could you please post some sample images that you are unhappy with? I am curious to see them.

Here are some comparison shots I did:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50584046

Thanks - these are one of the most relevant comparison shots, I've seen.

Let me try to explain in detail how *I* see these two shots (comparing at 1:1 resolution):

-> Both have significant background noise

-> The S95 also has a little foreground noise, while the RX-100 does not

If I were to make a simple comparison of the two, I'd say, yes, the noise looks worse on the S95.

BUT.... but.... there's a big catch in the comparison:

The S95's picture has much greater focal depth - the background in the S95 is in focus, which is one reason the noise there seems so jarring.  The background in the RX-100 shot is completely blurred out.  This gives a smoother quality to the background noise and makes it definitely less objectionable than the S95 case... but...

background focus costs you - it's hard to do (photon-wise) - and it's what I'm aiming for.  I'm almost always trying to take shots where the foreground and background are both in focus, which on the RX-100 means going for F8-F11, which makes it more difficult to avoid noise.  So perhaps comparing similar ISOs seems fair at one level but not at another level... because one camera may need a higher ISO in the same setting - if you took that same shot with the RX-100 and had a goal of keeping the background in focus as well, you might find the noise was a lot worse.

On a related note, I saw some posts of an S95/SD950 images at higher ISOs that looked horrible, and my reaction was just like the people reacting to my RX-100 results - Whoa!  I've never seen images like that from my camera!  Those are horrible.  I'd never keep images like that.  But the catch is, I haven't had to use high ISO on those cameras...

Depth of focus aside, I'd say this is an important example for me, because it's a reminder of what I've definitely observed - the RX-100 does get really good, noise free images within a narrow focus range.  It's really only outside the focus that you get noise.

Thank you Robert.  This is an important post.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow