Canon lover switched to RX-100, and it was terrible! Need advice....

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
jeffreyrdiamond
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Re: Canon lover switched to RX-100, and it was terrible! Need advice....
In reply to Gary Waugh, Feb 5, 2013

Gary Waugh wrote:

jeffreyrdiamond wrote:

tron555 wrote:

Jeff, you said “Can any of you recommend camera models I might like, knowing that I like noise/grain free images at native resolution, good low light performance”. I hate to tell you this, but there is no camera available that will give you noise/grain free images and both the G15 and P7700 are full of both noise and grain from 800 ISO and up, as shuttervelocity suggested. Both have their good and not so good points, but it will be up to you to decide which does best for the kind of shooting you do most. Now, if you want to get a small size camera that has very little noise and grain, you might want to take a look at the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1. Anyway, please let us know what you end up getting and what you think of it, thanks!

I guess you can't win all the time, even with a $3K camera... Here's an RX-1 image with significant noise outside the very shallow focal depth:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8030/8028155554_47427dda6c_o.jpg

The photo looks good to me for iso6400.

-- hide signature --

Gary in PA

Yes, and that was a cheap shot - but I am very interested in night scenes.  I've also noticed that noise is mostly an issue with items out of focus, and that some cameras have significant issues with light if you want to get a very long focus depth.   Nearly all of the photos I saw taken by the RX-1 were noise free.  I also looked at photos from the G1-X, and was amazed to see that they were nearly as noise free as the RX-1!  So it seems like for a CMOS sensor at modern resolutions, once you go above 1" you're good.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow