Started Feb 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
alexsid
Regular MemberPosts: 167Gear list
Like?
Hand-held HDR with P7100
Feb 5, 2013

Even though P7100 does not do many FPS, I have found that at least for short focal distances it is perfectly OK to take bracketed shots hand-held and they merge nicely.

I took a sequence of 5 shots at -2,-1,0,+1,+2 with hand-held camera in rather unfavorable conditions: strong wind and rain. To my surprise, Photomatix merged them with proper alignment (I tried with Oloneo as well but it was unable to align them properly).

According to Photomatix, the total dynamic range is a little lower than 11 stops - close to advertised dynamic range of P7100. This gave me an opportunity to compare the merged image with image taken at -1ev compensation. I used Fusion/Natural in Photomatix for better comparison with a single shot (processed to resemble Photomatix image visually).

Photomatix - 5 exposures merged via Fusion/Natural

and here is a single image (-1ev) processed with LR4, with hiighlights/shadows adjusted significantly:

A single image processed with LR4

The images have been cropped for two reasons:

• a raindrop on the lens at the left part of the image
  • square crop provides a better composition

But the alignment of images was very good in the corners, before cropping done. If you compare these images at 100%, you will see that HDR one has more details and much less noise in shadows.

The focal length was 6mm (equivalent to 28mm for 35mm cameras). I'll try to do a similar experiment with longer focal lengths, probably it should still be OK if you rest against a wall.

Anyway, this shows that hand-held HDR with P7100 is quite possible.

Alex

alexsid's gear list:alexsid's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +16 more
Nikon Coolpix P7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow