E-M5 fun and frustration at the same time

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,797Gear list
Like?
Re: what did you do to that 45mm?
In reply to TORN, Feb 5, 2013

TORN wrote:

Sean, thank you for your thoughtful comment. I do nothing special with my 45. I tend to use the bag which came with the 20mm to contain either the 20mm or the 45, depending on what is not on the camera. But while the 20 still looks new the 45 well does not. It even started to lose the silver color from the focus ring around the corners and this will pretty sure not stop just there. Anyhow it still delivers great images. It is just that I am not to confident how long this lens will make it. Maybe I am in for a surprise. I can any time replace the silver with black when it's gone, right? ;)))

You never know... either one of us could be surprised. I don't see any difference in build quality for the consumer zooms I have for m4/3 vs the ones I have for my DSLR. In fact the Olympus 12-50mm is probably the best built, and only weather-sealed, kit zoom I've ever owned. However it's definitely not the best kit zoom I've had in terms of performance. The Panasonic 14-45mm and my old Nikon 18-70mm are better. But on the prime lens side I definitely think my Nikon primes are built much sturdier. I don't know if the plastic build of a lens like the 45mm will mean it won't hold up for more than five years or so or not. I sure hope it lasts, but there is more reassurance in a metal lens body, and for a lens this size it doesn't seem like that would add much weight. Maybe more expense though.

Right now I feel like getting rid of the 7-14 would be an essential first step. Maybe with that source of annoyance out of the way allwill be fine. Losing ultrawide requires some fix though and right now I think I might go with the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye and eventually just the 12-35 selling the 20&45 at the same time. I do own enough manual lenses to cover anything beyond 35mm if really needed but I rarely use tele.

Only thing I fear is if I really want to be the combo that big beyond ultrawide and if the 12-35 will have the same purple flare issue as the 7-14 on the E-M5... Will have to sleep a bit over that.

You definitely get more options for wide angle on the APS-C and 135 format DSLR cameras, but the options are increasing for m4/3. The Samyang/Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye is a solid little lens that is very sharp and contrasty. The focus ring is very stiff, but I think that's okay on a manual focus fisheye. You don't need to change focus very often, so it's good to have a stiff ring that won't accidentally lose the focus you set.

I really like the duo of the fisheye with the Oly 9-18mm, but as I said earlier: If there is one m4/3 lens I have durability concerns over it's the 9-18mm. I'm not aware of any issues from those who have owned one for longer than I have, but the way it extends just makes me want to treat it gently and protect it from the elements. I don't feel like I need to be as careful with the 45mm f/1.8 or the 20mm f/1.7.

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow