I sometimes wonder

Started Feb 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Flying Fish
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,582
Like?
Good post, contrary view
In reply to Ultradan, Feb 5, 2013

Thanks for posting and your pleasant tone.  Many of the responses here--and they'd be the same in the Open Talk or Rebel forums--say it isn't the gear, it's the photographer.  And those responses have a point.  I've watched people with $1000s--even thousands of pounds or euros--worth of gear who had no idea what they were doing and couldn't get images that would have satisfied anyone.  They would have been better off with a compact or even a good smartphone.  Having said that, I enjoy being able to take photographs of moving objects, let's say flying birds or roiling rivers or crashing surf, that are sharp, well composed, and have enough resolution to be printed at 8 X 12 inches (20 X 30 cm) even after substantial cropping at times.  So I found that when I went from an entry-level 12 MP DSLR to a "prosumer" 18MP DSLR with much faster, more accurate AF and much faster shutter speed and burst rate and much more ergonomic controls, and the better lenses that the camera could handle, my photographs improved dramatically.  All of them.  Furthermore, hanging around DPR was very helpful to me, because I read many people's experiences with these pieces of equipment, and DPR's own reviews.  And having got to know some of you reasonably well through your postings and in some cases your photographs, I've learned to some degree whose advice works better for me.  Finally, the better equipment actually allowed me to see the consequences of smaller variations in shooting techniques than the previous equipment did, and so my learning curve got steeper.

Whew, what a load.  But it's another view and your thoughtful post deserves a response.  Thanks again.

FF

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OrNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow